Sunday, January 14, 2007

Job's Friends


Lately I have been reading the book of Job in the New Living Translation. It has been a very exhilirating experience! Now I know some of you may find that hard to believe but it is true! For years I have listened and even spoke on the fact that Job's friends were a bunch of jerks. He was going through the darkest time in his life and their words were death to him. His friends were to support him in his darkest hours and their words heaped more pain on him. However this view of Job's friends is somewhat simplistic and does not really do justice to what the actually did. These guys went to be with their friend and sat with him for days. They listened to him and tried to be good friends. They sat in silence and ministered to him by their presence. Where they went wrong was when they opened their mouths! I was struck by the fact that these friends actually were trying to be good friends to him. That fact is somewhat lost in the simplistic understanding that "with friends like Job's who needs enemies" version of this parable. I see a real need to deal with people in grace who are in distress. To not jump to the conclusions that we or I so often do. We do not know the private hell that many people live in on a daily basis. Whether it be financial struggles, failed relationships, health issues or simply hard times. We need to take a moment to "ask a question" rather than "make a pronouncement". We need to be willing like Job's friends to go and simply sit with those who grieve and invite them to share openly and freely without fear or reservation. I know when I look at my own life that I have failed at that time and time again but it is no excuse to simply start again. Others may fail me but that does not give me license to fail them. And when I do I must make amends and try again. God help us all.

4 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger Maria Scicluna said...

I agree with you Mike in that we can't just look down on Jobs friends. From a very painful experience I know what it is like to be "Job" with the "frineds" and it has taught me that if the situations had of been reversed that I would probably of been in that pose, as a well meaning but totally wrong christian. I thank God that hopefully I have learned my lesson well enough that I can be that friend who just listens and who can be trusted to be a safe place showing what Christ truly is.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger J Man said...

It really is a tough thing to learn... as Christians, we tend to always have an answer or solution, just like Job's friends. So many times we think God gave us the Bible to relate to the main characters in each story; however, it seems that it's when we look at the supporting cast that we tend to get the deeper/more important lessons.

Thanks for sharing, Mike

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Vanessa Sim said...

I almost 100% agree with you! I have been reading along with you on this year in a bible thing and I have had some of the exact revelations about Job and his friends . . . I see too that they sat in quiet with him and hung out, yet, when they opened their mouth I feel that they were almost, "passing time", "bantering", being conversationalists with him and helping him get some perspective. I think true friends say the hard stuff and challenge us, and all the while sit and just be there. Job handles himself well and has some pretty spicy combacks for them - I am thankful that he has those kind of friends and I am thankful that i have those friends as well!!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Maria Scicluna said...

CONGRATULATIONS Mike on your engagement, You are getting quite the helpmate. I know you will love and take care of her. I also know she will treasure and love you to the fullest as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home