Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Friendship is Investment

I have been thinking about friendship again lately. There are a number of things that have coalesced in my universe to make me ponder the mystery that is friendship. I am reminded of someone who I was very close to for a few years that has simply dropped off the map in my life these days. This person probably does not even think about me for even a millisecond. That is how far that I have dropped off their radar. And yet I still think about him and the friendship we shared that at one time seemed so very important to me. I think it is sad we have gone our separate ways. I think its hurtful that so much that was invested now simply lies dormant. At one time we were connected at the hip and now we live in the same city and don’t call each other. Some might say – well get off your butt and give him a call! You take responsibility for the friendship. But it isn’t that simple.
Friendship is a two way street. One can be a friend to someone else, but that does not mean they are friends. Friendship happens when we invest in each other. He obviously does not want to invest in it given that he has had many opportunities to do so and has chosen not to. While I think that is sad and disappointing I realize that it is his choice. I am reminded of the old adage that we “invest in what we care about”. I cared and invested and he did/does not invest and therefore does not care. It was a hard reality that I had to face. Friends come and friends go. And sometimes they were never really your friend in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home